From May-14 to May-18, 2018 Weizmann Institute and the University of Oulu are organizing an Open-Sesame and Instruct-ERIC workshop: “Remote X-ray data collection from European synchrotrons at the Weizmann Institute of Science”, Rehovot, Israel. This workshop is organized in the context of the EU projects Open SESAME and Instruct-ERIC, together with DLS (Diamond, Oxford, UK), and ESRF (Grenoble, France) and with the support of FEBS (Federation of European Biochemical Societies). The protocols for remote data collection and data processing at DLS and ESRF will be discussed, demonstrated and used. The workshop will consist of lectures, tutorials, demonstrations and hands-on remote data collection sessions at DLS and ESRF. Experts are on-site for carrying out the remote data collection sessions as well as for data processing and structure determination calculations.
The workshop will include an introduction to methods of protein crystallography, data collection at synchrotrons, data processing and structure determination. Remote data collection at ESRF and DLS on crystals from participating students is scheduled for the 2nd and 4th day of the workshop, respectively. More information on the current outline of the program and on the application details are available at http://www.weizmann.ac.il/conferences/RXDC2018 . There is no registration fee, and the workshop will cover the costs of room & board, at the Weizmann Institute, for participants. The workshop will be limited to a maximum of 25 participants, and the deadline for registration is 28.02.2018. The lectures will be streamed on the internet in case someone cannot attend in person and would like remotely attend the presentations.
This workshop is particularly targeted for PhD students and postdocs having projects aimed at 3D structure determination using biomacromolecular crystals, working at institutes that are members of SESAME and/or working at institutes of Instruct-ERIC countries relatively far from European Synchrotrons, as well as for students from non-EU countries working at EU-institutes who need to apply for visa, restricting efficient access to perform on-site data collection. Students are encouraged to send crystals in advance, which will then subsequently be shipped to DLS or ESRF and used as examples for remote data collection.
On behalf of the organizers,
Joel L. Sussman and Rik Wierenga
Website of the workshop: http://www.weizmann.ac.il/conferences/RXDC2018
- DLS: www.diamond.ac.uk/Home.html
- ESRF: www.esrf.eu
- FEBS: www.febs.org
- The Hollander Center for Structural Proteomics: www.weizmann.ac.il/pages/dana-and-yossie-hollander-center-structural-proteomics
- Instruct-ERIC: www.structuralbiology.eu
- Israel Academy of Sciences: www.academy.ac.il/?nodeId=808
- The Kimmelman Center for Biomolecular Structure and Assembly: www.weizmann.ac.il/pages/helen-and-milton-kimmelman-center-biomolecular-structure-and-assembly
- The Mazer Center for Structural Biology: www.weizmann.ac.il/pages/joseph-and-ceil-mazer-center-structural-biology
- Ministry of Science, Technology and Space: www.gov.il/en
- OPEN SESAME: www.opensesame-h2020.eu/en
- Weizmann Institute of Science: www.weizmann.ac.il